This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Pension - death within 2 years

Brightonian
Pension - death within 2 years

Postby Brightonian » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:23 am

I am trying to help a client's widow. Her husband died, leaving everything to her. There is a will. The gross estate is probably just less than £1m. But he was terminally ill for some time and, within two years of death, transferred two final salary schemes into a personal pension in order to improve the death benefit. He then took the money under the ill health rules. I feel that this will have to be disclosed to HMRC so do I need to complete the IHT400 instead of the short form IHT205? Presumably probate is also necessary?
There is one practical point also. As the who;e estate has been left to the widow, there is no IHT to pay, other than possibly on pension benefits. There is no way that I can compute this liability. A colleague tells me that there may be a discount applicable. Do I send the return in showing no tax payable? Does this leave the widow open to penalties if I do? I assume there will be interest but that is fine. Has anyone any experience of this situation?

LozaACCS

Re: Pension - death within 2 years

Postby LozaACCS » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:16 pm

I believe form IH400 should be completed because of the pension, specifically Sch IHT 409.
Where property is held jointly by a married couple a tenanted deduction is not available.
Since the pension fund at death is held under a defined contribution scheme, the quantum of the fund should not be difficult to ascertain, the IHT implications of the transfers are more complex.

Brightonian

Re: Pension - death within 2 years

Postby Brightonian » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:04 am

Thank you for your help.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”