This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

A cash gift from overseas that is already in Sterling currency i.e not in foreign currency

HarryHowls
A cash gift from overseas that is already in Sterling currency i.e not in foreign currency

Postby HarryHowls » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:46 pm

Hello all,

I am a non UK resident living overseas. I am looking to gift my son £150,000 from my Sterling account in Amsterdam (all taxes paid). My son is a UK resident paying taxes there.

Now I understand that a cash gift from a non-resident/domicile will not usually attract IHT if I died in the 7 year period, but what if that cash gift is already in 'Sterling' before being transferred to the UK? Will that make a difference? Will it be considered UK domestic money because it is in Sterling? (for example where the bank holds the account I don't know)

I could convert it to Dollars or Euros first then send (and have him convert it back into pounds) but what a waste of money with the fallen exchange rates!

maths

Re: A cash gift from overseas that is already in Sterling currency i.e not in foreign currency

Postby maths » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:41 pm

The fact that it is in £ is irrelevant to ascertaining IHT exposure. If you are non-UK domiciled then a gift from your Dutch account is outside any IHT charge.

If you are UK domiciled (even if non-resident) then the gift will be a PET subject to the 7 year rule.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”