This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Gift tax

David Coulter
UK Gift tax

Postby David Coulter » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:29 am

Hello,

I would like to know if and whether a large cash gift from me, (I am a long time resident and domiciled for taxation in Australia) to a family member who is resident and domiciled in the UK, is taxable by that family member if the transferred money is firstly deposited into a UK account that is in my name before a subsequent transfer to the family member. I understand that if I were to transfer it directly into my family member's account it would be free of any UK tax.

Thank you for your advice.

David

pawncob

Re: UK Gift tax

Postby pawncob » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:59 am

Gifts to UK residents are not taxable in the U.K.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Postby maths » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm

A gift of cash by a non-UK domiciled individual from a non-UK bank account directly to a UK bank account of a UK individual recipient is outside the scope of UK IHT.

However, if the non-UK domiciled individual transfers the cash to his/her UK bank account first and then makes the gift out of the UK bank account this gift in principe falls within the charge to UK IHT as it is the gift of a UK situs asset (whether actual IHT arises depends upon a number of factors).

LozaACCS

Postby LozaACCS » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:10 pm

Maths
Does your post not lead to a planning point.
If the transfer to the UK account was was in a non sterling currency, then would not the subsequent transfer be of excluded property (S157 IHTA 1984) and therefore outside the scope of UK IHT, although there could be CGT implications

maths

Postby maths » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:13 pm

would not the subsequent transfer be of excluded property (S157 IHTA 1984)
No. A foreign currency UK bank deposit is only excluded property on the death of the owner whereas a lifetime transfer would not be one of excluded property.

tax_schmax

Postby tax_schmax » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi.

Not strictly interested in the IHT angles here but I have a frighteningly similar case. A UK resident non dom is set to receive a lump sum from his uk resident non dom spouse. The lump sum arises as a withdrawal of equity from a home rented out in Australia. The Australian home is owned solely by the spouse. Is this a remittance of income? Would this be taxable in the UK in any way?

Thanks

maths

Postby maths » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:19 pm

How exactly is the "withdrawal of equity" taking place?

tax_schmax

Postby tax_schmax » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Australian mortgages work like a current account mortgage, so equity created from repayments of the principle debt are available as a drawdown.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”