This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inheritance tax on a cash gift

greenjersey
Inheritance tax on a cash gift

Postby greenjersey » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi, I want to help my daughter purchase a house by taking out a mortgage of £150,000 on my home. Perhaps surprisingly the Nationwide have offered to lend me this sum repayable by the time I am 85. I am aged 72 and in fair health and my wife is 67 and in robust good health. On the assumption that my wife has far better chance of surviving for seven years would it make sense for me to give the money to my wife who would then gift it to our daughter? If so are there any time limits i.e. could I do the transfer one day and then my wife do her transfer the next?
Thanks in advance for your help.

maths

Re: Inheritance tax on a cash gift

Postby maths » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:16 pm

If you own the home and you are the borrower a transfer of the amount borrowed by you if transferred to wife who then transfers the amount to daughter is likley to be seen as a straight gift by you (wife merely acting as a conduit).

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”