This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buying a gift for someone abroad

alistair.reynolds
Buying a gift for someone abroad

Postby alistair.reynolds » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi,

My fiancee from China sometimes buys things in the UK for her friends in China, and then they pay her back. Normally this is for small things, but someone wants a bag here for £7,000, so I'm worried about tax issues.

If she transfers money from her Chinese account into my UK account, then I use that to buy the bag with, would there be any tax implications?

pawncob

Re: Buying a gift for someone abroad

Postby pawncob » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:31 pm

Not unless she's selling things at a profit. Presumably they just reimburse her.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

alistair.reynolds

Postby alistair.reynolds » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:29 am

OK, that makes sense. So there would need to be some kind of proof on their end that she sells it at a profit I assume, like if she did it for a lot of bags instead of just the one.

Thanks for the info!

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:25 am

Definitely keep recepits (or copies of them), and match your purchases with monies received.

Your biggest problem will be banks seeing regular international transfers. They might consider that suspicious and will need to report it.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:59 pm

And presumably there could be customs issues and import duty payable as well (presumably Chinese rather than UK customs).

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”