This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

MRNRB

cliff99
MRNRB

Postby cliff99 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:15 pm

My maternal parent is now in her nineties and increasingly frail to the point where she is at risk by living alone in her property
We would like her to come to live with us, but she is reluctant to do this, as she believes that in doing so she will lose the new main residence nil rate band (MRNRB). An allowance that would very significantly mitigate IHT on her demise.
To qualify for the MRNRB she has left her home to my sister and me

I have obtained legal advice and received the assurance that:
1) Coming to live with us will not jeopardise the MRNRB.
2) That she will be free to rent out her home whilst resident with us, again without risking the loss of the MRNRB

As I will eventually act as her Executor, and will have to justify the claim for the MRNRB, I consider that the advice I have received in respect to item one above is probably correct, but the act of her renting her home whilst living with us will almost certainly result in the loss of the MRNRB.

bd6759

Re: MRNRB

Postby bd6759 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 pm

The requiremnt is only that the property was once the home of the deceased. Renting it out will not affect this.

maths

Re: MRNRB

Postby maths » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Renting out the property will not jeopardise the RNRB.

So long as parent owns the property at time of death and it has been her residence (even if not at the date of death).

There may also be a transferable RNRB.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”