This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT question regarding a gift with reservation

metatron
IHT question regarding a gift with reservation

Postby metatron » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:43 am

Dear all,

I care for my father who has recently signed his sole property over to me and we all live in this house together and have done for 15 years.

As he remains living at said house I understand it is a 'gift with reservation' and the 7 year IHT rule does not apply.

Now the house upon the transfer date was completely dilapidated and in need of major repairs and renovation and I'm going to be spending a small fortune doing the place up.

So would IHT be calculated on the value upon the date of his signing the property to me or the value upon his death?

kind regards

M

bibescu

Re: IHT question regarding a gift with reservation

Postby bibescu » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:10 pm

If the property gifted is subject to a reservation when the transferor dies, it has to be valued at the date of death.

maths

Postby maths » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:00 pm

What's the value of his property?

Is your mum alive? If not did she leave all her estate to your father?

metatron

Postby metatron » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi, Mum died this year leaving me all her half of the house and dad has just signed his half to me as well.

metatron

Postby metatron » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:00 pm

I might add the current value of the house is £400k and I plan to spend £150k and turn it into an £800k home.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”