This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cash gift from relative

Wmikewoods
Cash gift from relative

Postby Wmikewoods » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi, my elderly grandmother wants to gift me a amount of money. Her estate is worth way under the £325K limit for inheritance tax, what considerations should I make before accepting?

Is it an income and therefore taxable or is it classed as unearned income and therefore also taxable?

I understand that if she were to die within the next 7 years that the money would count towards her estate but that is not a consideration as the estate will be much less than half of the £325K last limit.

Thanks for any advice

DSW TaxResolution

Re: Cash gift from relative

Postby DSW TaxResolution » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:16 pm

As long as the amount remains under the threshold there is nothing to pay. Only IHT would be in question and as you correctly state, the threshold is £325k (and the 7 year rule).
So all is fine in your circumstance*.

*Assuming this is purely a gift and not for services/goods of any kinds.
www.dswcapital.com
Tax Investigation Service

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”