This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift without Reservation - mechanics any pitfalls?

anjo56
Gift without Reservation - mechanics any pitfalls?

Postby anjo56 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:43 pm

My husband and I want to make a Gift without Reservation in the shape of a deposit for our son to buy his first property. We understand that if we survive 7 years from the date of transfer it will be exempt from IHT. We have written a letter to our son confirming that the property will be in his sole name and we will gain no benefit at all.

We have mobilised the funds and now need to make the transfer to his account but find we are constrained and can only move £10k each day. We can move the monies over consecutive days but are wondering if not transferring the amount in a single transaction might have pitfalls we are not aware of. The total is £140k.

Just seeking reassurance that this is not a complication! If it is, advice on steps needed to execute the plan most welcome! Thank you.

AdamS93

Re: Gift without Reservation - mechanics any pitfalls?

Postby AdamS93 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:30 pm

No issues I can think of. You may want to delay gifting some of the money until 6th April so you get the benefit of an additional annual exemption which could potentially save £1,200 in IHT if you not live 7 years after the date of gift (good bit of free advice there 😉).

With regards to gifts with reservation, as you are gifting cash, there will be no question that this falls outside the gift with reservation rules.

There may be an issue with pre owned asset tax (POAT) if you were to benefit from the property in the next 7 years, but from your post this doesn’t seem to be the case.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”