This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Complex inheritance tax

Dingdong1
Complex inheritance tax

Postby Dingdong1 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:10 pm

First post .
Posting on behalf of parents .
A friend of my parents who is elderly and in poor health has named my parents as sole beneficiary on his will .
He has a fairly large estate .
It gets complex in that his brother died last year in New Jersey USA.
His brother died intestate has no children ,wife etc and his brother is in line for the money .
The amount is large in the area of 3 million n pounds .
He does not want this money to go to his estate as he is aware this will incur large inheritance tax bill .
He wants my parents to receive the money .i have heard of a deal of variation were the money is bypassed but I don’t know how that works when the money comes from outside the uk namely USA
Can anyone advise or offer any suggestions
Regards

Dingdong1

Re: Complex inheritance tax

Postby Dingdong1 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:31 pm

First post .
Posting on behalf of parents .
A friend of my parents who is elderly and in poor health has named my parents as sole beneficiary on his will .
He has a fairly large estate .
It gets complex in that his brother died last year in New Jersey USA.
His brother died intestate has no children ,wife etc and his brother is in line for the money .
The amount is large in the area of 3 million n pounds .
He does not want this money to go to his estate as he is aware this will incur large inheritance tax bill .
He wants my parents to receive the money .i have heard of a deal of variation were the money is bypassed but I don’t know how that works when the money comes from outside the uk namely USA
Can anyone advise or offer any suggestions
Regards

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:19 am

Yes, a deed of variation.

He would need UK advice to prepare it and US advice on any US effects, particularly if/while the assets are in the US.

For this sum of money, you need to go straight to proper advisers. Presumably there will be a US adviser dealing with the US estate .

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:46 pm

A deed of variation has no effect for US purposes. The key question here is whether brother was considered domiciled within the United Kingdom. What do the client's US and UK lawyers advise?

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”