This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Help IHT, Gift & RNRB allowance

Jerome64
Help IHT, Gift & RNRB allowance

Postby Jerome64 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:04 am

Your help would be so appreciated.

My Dad gifted his house to me and my brothers, we're all joint tenants and own 1/4 of the property, the house was Gifted in July 2015, my Dad passed away in August 2018, the house was in our names for just over 3 years. My Dad continued to live there for the last 3 years. We all still live there and are the best of friends.
The house was owned outright with no mortgage.
My Dad paid every bill during this 3 year time, his choice as he had numerous pensions paying out.
Is this seen as a gift with exemptions or as he was paying all of the bills, as a gift with no exemptions?

I'm sorting out the probate paperwork, pending the chartered surveyors report the house will be worth £540K -ish
He has a £325K thresh hold.
Will we pay 34% IHT on the house as it was 3 years into the 7 years or is it a gift with exemptions and the whole house will fall back into his estate for 40% IHT?

My question is for probate can I claim £325K, + 125K RNRB and only pay 34% on the property
or £325K +125K RNRB and 40% IHT? Can you still get RNRB When a house is passed to children and it was on the taper scale of a gift?

Many thanks, there's many things on the internet for each of these issues but not when they're all combined.
Jerome

someone

Re: Help IHT, Gift & RNRB allowance

Postby someone » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:21 pm

I think you and your brothers/sisters would have needed to pay the bills for gwrob not to apply.

Anyway, the gift uses up the nil rate band first (and I assume RNRB)

So the gift that might be tapered is:

540-325-125 = 90

and the tax difference between 34% and 40% on 90k is less than 6k.

(unless there are also other gifts in scope)

maths

Re: Help IHT, Gift & RNRB allowance

Postby maths » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:52 pm

If father retained no beneficial interest in the gifted property the gift qualifies as a gift with reservation (GWR). The gift also qualifies as a PET. There is therefore a risk of double taxation.

It is likely that the former will give rise to a greater IHT charge on father's death than the latter. Thus the GWR provisions will apply.

The RNRB (125k) will be available as will any NRB (325k). IHT at 40% on the balance.

Possible for RNRB and NRB transfers to husband depending upon IHT position on his wife's death (assuming she died before him).

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”