This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Asset ownership

Bobbych
Asset ownership

Postby Bobbych » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm

This is probably a daft question and I think I know the answer but just want to make sure.

My elderly In-laws live in a property they own. They have many investments mostly in one name. The entire estate is in the Nil Rate band for IHT for a married couple.

What i want to know is do the assets need to be equality owned i.e the investments need to be in joint names.

pawncob

Re: Asset ownership

Postby pawncob » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:51 pm

Owning assets jointly makes it much easier if one party dies, as the assets pass to the other party without having to undertake the legal niceties. It's not essential, but so much easier.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”