This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buying a house on trust for my Children

trickypaultree
Buying a house on trust for my Children

Postby trickypaultree » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 am

I am looking to buy a property to rent out, And I am also looking to set up a Help to Buy government scheme for each of my 2 daughters. How can I buy a house so the rental income from the property can go straight into the 2 help to buy schemes without having to pay tax on it. I want the house to be registered in my name but is there a type of trust I can set up that will cater for this??

AGoodman

Re: Buying a house on trust for my Children

Postby AGoodman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:51 pm

If you established a bare trust for your daughters, the property would be in your name (as trustee) but the property and therefore the income would belong to them. This would include for tax. You could receive and pay the proceeds into an ISA on their behalf, albeit you would need their agreement - not least because they would open the account. They may also need to complete tax returns as they are treated as receiving the rent for tax purposes.

If the daughters are under 18, you will still be liable for income tax on the rent until they reach 18. While they are under 18, there is not really anything you can do to avoid this.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Bear in mind the SDLT disadvantages. They will lose their first time buyer relief and have to pay the additional 3% if they buy their own property.

AdamS93

Postby AdamS93 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:29 pm

I agree with AGoodman (as ever).

In a few years time, your daughters may not be very happy as they won't get all the benefits first time buyers currently get.

Whether or not BTL is a viable investment anymore (especially with a labour government and rent caps potentially on the horizon and interest rates only going one way) is another question you need to consider.

trickypaultree

Postby trickypaultree » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks for the advice

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”