This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Will a declaration of trust remove RNRB benefits

mobile
Will a declaration of trust remove RNRB benefits

Postby mobile » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi
I have read somewhere that if a house is held in a trust then owners will lose their residence nil rate band benefits because the house is 'owned' by the trust and not by the people living there. My parents and I live in the same house. If we were to do a DOT to agree our beneficial interests would we lose our residence nil rate band benefits, because the house would be owned by the trustees or held on trust for them? Silly question, but I have looked online at some DOT and they have some strange wording. Would a DOT to confirm our respective ownership interests result in us losing our RNRB?

AGoodman

Re: Will a declaration of trust remove RNRB benefits

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:45 am

A DoC just setting out your share in a tenancy in common would be a bare trust and transparent for tax. It would not affect the availability of RNRB

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”