This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Double deed of Variation?

Planetruth
Double deed of Variation?

Postby Planetruth » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:37 pm

Hello

I'm hoping that someone may know the answer for this:

my mum made a deed of variation to me, from my Dad's estate last year but is now terminally ill herself.
I haven't yet received the money from my mum into my bank (she says there is a two year window)
I am now wondering whether it would be a)legal and b)relatively simple
to make my own deed of variation, deferring the original sum to another family member instead of myself?

Would I have to hold the funds myself first or would this render void any further deed, or means of passing on the money?

The sum is about £50,000

Any advice gratefully received.

AGoodman

Re: Double deed of Variation?

Postby AGoodman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:38 pm

I'm afraid you cannot make two variations in relation to the same property and only the original recipient (your mother) can vary with the benefit of IHT relief.

Planetruth

Re: Double deed of Variation?

Postby Planetruth » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:34 am

Thankyou so much for this reply !!! - not what I wanted to hear, but I had been trying
to find a definitive answer all day.
Ruth

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”