This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

capital gains tax

tec jones
capital gains tax

Postby tec jones » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:22 pm

I transferred 10% of my rental property to my son, which value do I use, is it cost price value or valuation at time of transfer, I have now sold the property.

AGoodman

Re: capital gains tax

Postby AGoodman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:04 pm

On the sale:

Your cost price is 90% of the price you paid for it plus 90% of capital works etc.
Your gain is 90% of the sale price minus the cost price.

On the gift to your son:

Your cost price is 10% of the price you paid etc
Your gain is 10% of the market value at the time of the gift minus the cost price.

maths

Re: capital gains tax

Postby maths » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:46 pm

Strictly speaking you are making a part disposal on making the gift and depending upon the figures a part disposal calculation may be required. It may also be possible to not treat the gift at that time as a disposal,

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”