This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Family Home IHT

fabiusmaximus
Family Home IHT

Postby fabiusmaximus » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi all,

I've been considering options with regard to rapidly releasing the value held in a property. As far as I can tell, other than selling and downsizing, it may be possible to sell the home, at an independently valued market price, while carving out a lease.

I'm aware that the recent Hood vs HMRC ruling proscribes leases as a reservation on gifts. Does this take any effect on sales? I've come across the suggestion that it might be instead necessary to occupy the 'license to occupy'. Is there any truth to this?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Many thanks

AnthonyR

Re: Family Home IHT

Postby AnthonyR » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:47 am

If you sold the property at market value (I assume to a family member) and then leased it back from them at market value this should not cause any complications from an IHT point of view. I assume you would then gift some of the proceeds of sale to start to reduce your IHT exposure?

The Hood case was a complex one and did not state that a lease was a reservation per se, however, where leases granted contain terms that still provide benefits to the grantor then this could be a reservation of benefit. This issue here was that Hood kept the reversionary freehold and granted a lease which passed on obligations in the freehold to the leaseholders (her children). If it were not for those covenants it's possible the planning could have succeeded.

However, as usual, I'd recommend taking specific tax advice on the point and don't just instruct a conveyancer who doesn't understand the tax points.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”