This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Clarification - gift of family home to reduce IHT

JezzR0
Re: Clarification - gift of family home to reduce IHT

Postby JezzR0 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:14 pm

Thank you all for your help and advice. Had some interesting chats to some TEP members and making arrangements to meet up with one.

They advise there are things we can do now to change the situation (e.g. I gift the house as was unaware of the full impact of gifting or possibly gifting back a share of the property). My stress levels have declined now and all the advice offered has been fantastic at getting this matter dealt with before it was too late.

Thank you

maths

Postby maths » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:39 pm

Whilst by no means wishing to re-raise your stress levels may I suggest you approach with caution any advice offering quick solutions; you may well end up being worse off.

I suspect that it may have been suggested that you will be able to unwind the gift on the grounds of "mistake"; the tax cases of Pitt v Holt and Futter v Futter may even have been mentioned.

Whilst it is possible to "unwind" a gift it is by no mean's easy or straight forward.

Proceed carefully.

JezzR0

Postby JezzR0 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:47 am

Thanks for the warning maths, duly noted.
The TEP member didn't say you can but rather we may be able, so not a fixed solution yet. We are meeting them to outline our whole situation and then they said they will investigate and confirm the actions they believe we should do with costs for doing that. They have actually picked up a couple more issues too.
Hopefully as the company are both tax advisors and solicitors, they will have a full picture - though perhaps I'll post their suggestions here too

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”