This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Normal expenditure out of income

probate_slave
Normal expenditure out of income

Postby probate_slave » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:31 pm

Can someone possibly help me interpret the conditions for "normal expenditure" in the gifts-out-of-income IHT exemption?

My mother has a comfortable surplus income and would like to give more away to help family and friends. The IHT manual states that a gift "clearly made for a special purpose" automatically fails to qualify. Most of her giving would be of this type, eg for a niece's hip replacement or a grandson's house extension. However, if she made regular payments to one of my siblings to create a pool, allowing irregular gifts to be passed on as needs arise among family and others, would this meet the normality test?

pawncob

Re: Normal expenditure out of income

Postby pawncob » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:39 pm

HMRC say:
https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/gifts

As long as the gift is from "surplus" income and doesn't affect the standard of living, it should qualify if it's "habitual".
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

probate_slave

Postby probate_slave » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:00 pm

Thank you, pawncob - much appreciated.

I was looking at the internal manual, here and subsequent pages, where the identity of the donee and reasons for the gifts suggests possibly ruling out my idea:
https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/inheritance-tax-manual/ihtm14241

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:00 pm

The "reason" for the gift is whatever you wish to call it, so habitual gifts to a sibling should be OK. Of course that means that the sibling is also making a gift............
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”