This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Date of valuation of property for RNRB

Cloisters
Date of valuation of property for RNRB

Postby Cloisters » Sat May 04, 2019 9:29 am

I own a property just in excess of the RNRB allowances, but have moved out and am renting it. I have significantly downsized well below the RBRB allowances.

If I continue to rent the original property until I die, is the value of the property for RNRB purposes calculated at the point I moved out or the value on sale? (If I had sold it and ensured records were kept it would protect the RNRB even though I moved to a cheaper property as I understand it).

The reason behind my question is that with fiscal drag , over a period of maybe 20 or even 30 years, the value of the property could easily fall below what might then be a much higher RNRB (forever hopeful) and therefore the incentive to keep the property if I can afford to, is greater.

maths

Re: Date of valuation of property for RNRB

Postby maths » Sat May 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Property valuation is that at the date of death irrespective of whether the downsizing provisions apply or not.

Cloisters

Postby Cloisters » Sat May 04, 2019 9:20 pm

Thank you.

maths

Postby maths » Sun May 05, 2019 11:13 am

Just for clarification. If residence owned at date of death then for RNRB purposes the property value is that at date of death.

If Property X is owned and sold prior to death and at time of sale it is valued at 175,000 and a smaller property Y is purchased which at time if death is valued at 100,000 then an RNRB of 175,000 (if death in 20/21) is available if 75,000 of deceased's assets is left to lineal descendant plus the 100,000 property.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”