This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Uk or Germany for gift tax

Carli
Uk or Germany for gift tax

Postby Carli » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:26 pm

my parents recently died, and my brother, who I don't get along with at all, has been made executor of a German will, stating that their estate is to be divided up 50% to him, 25% each to me and my son.
I'm fine with this, except that my brother is demanding that my son and I declare all gifts over a 10 year period to him. I'm also fine with that, but the problem is that he refuses to disclose what gifts he has received. I know that my parents paid off a large mortgage for him £150,000 to £200,000, but this may have been more than 10 years ago. I am going by the German gift tax rules as I assume that's what's being applied.
Now my brother wants me to report all gifts and any money given to me to the UK tax people. I have a feeling that his large gift may be slightly short of the 10 years allowed by Germany, so he's trying to switch it to UK IHT laws, as it's only 7 years here. He also thinks that I have broken the law by not declaring these gifts on my self assesment, and tells me I might go to prison.
I think he is trying to intimidate me. I would be happier reporting gifts in the UK, where I live and file self assessment as the allowances are better.
I thought that as the money came from a German estate, it would be factored back into it the German estate.
Also, can I report the huge gift I assume he received, even though 7-10 years have passed? It lessens my parent's estate, He's trying to pretend it doesn't exist.

bd6759

Re: Uk or Germany for gift tax

Postby bd6759 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:21 pm

Gifts are not taxable as income in the UK, and do not go on a self-assessment tax form.

As others have said, you need to speak with German lawyer to sort out the issues with our brother and your inheritance.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”