This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Corbyn IHT grab

riccardob
Corbyn IHT grab

Postby riccardob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:19 am

Hello,

I have read articles in the press explaining Corbyn's plans for IHT above a lifetime treshold of 125k and the rest taxed at income tax rates every year.
I don't understand the concept, how can a house be taxed at income tax rates every year if its value fluctuates?

I am not an expert but his ideas are inconceivable from the point of view of policing fluctuations in property values and taxing this every year.
What do the experts on here think of the proposals from an enforecement point of view?

Regards,

pawncob

Re: Corbyn IHT grab

Postby pawncob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:08 pm

We tend not to comment on statements which include either of the words "pie" or "sky".
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

riccardob

Postby riccardob » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:59 am

I was only quoting reports in the press. It isn' t something I made up.
Today's news is that Mc Donnell is already planning for the head of HMRC.

someone

Postby someone » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:50 pm

Haven't seen it but I'd assume gifts are taxed in the year they are made.

So give your kid 125k on the day they are born and 12k p.a. for 20 years until they finish univ and start work. That's not far off the current IHT limit but you can do it per kid.

(kids should ensure they are born to parents with lots of spare cash)

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”