This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Adding Names To Title Deeds

Maccers69
Adding Names To Title Deeds

Postby Maccers69 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:40 pm

Hello,

I'll try to keep this simple.

My wife & I live with her parents in a house they own outright (no mortgage).

We are in the process of having work done to the property and would like to take out a small mortgage to finish the work.

Her parents are too old (mid-70s) to take out a mortgage.

So, can we either be added to the Deeds to enable us to take out a mortgage in our names (assuming we can find a lender that will just consider us and not her parents), or can the Deeds be changed to our names, and if so would either of those options attract Stamp Duty or another form of taxation?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance for any advice.

maths

Re: Adding Names To Title Deeds

Postby maths » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:46 pm

1. What's there house worth?

2. What size mortgage are you seeking?

AGoodman

Re: Adding Names To Title Deeds

Postby AGoodman » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:03 pm

I would have thought that any mortgagee will want all legal owners to be a party, otherwise they cannot enforce the mortgage in the event of default.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”