This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT and denunciation

bertiedog
IHT and denunciation

Postby bertiedog » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi All - HELP!

The situation: This concerns my Dad's estate. My Dad is resident in South Africa (SA) and for taxation but still has his German passport. He was born and grew up in Germany. He has investments and cash based in Germany and the same in SA but to a far lesser extent. I believe any property he owns is in the name of his partner, they are not married. He owns his own business in SA which consists mainly of stock and an industrial property.

About 6 years ago my Dad asked my only other brother and I to sign a denunciation document. This obviously removes our IHT rights in Germany.

My question is what rights does the denunciation leave my brother and I with? Is the end result simply that my Dad's Will will apply and that's it. There will be no rules of succession that can be sought if my brother or I were to contest the Will? Not that we would anyway.

Any thoughts?

Regards.

Lambs

Re: IHT and denunciation

Postby Lambs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:51 pm

B,

I am not sure what this has to do with UK tax - it seems to be a query involving German / South African tax?

Regards,

Lambs

bertiedog

Postby bertiedog » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:52 pm

Correct - it's primarily a German/South Africa issue. So what?

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:08 am

This is a primarily UK tax forum.

bertiedog

Postby bertiedog » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Ah, OK. Apologies I saw 'International' under the Tax News and Tax Articles sections and thought the forums might cover my issues. Sorry guys.

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:46 pm

B,

If you were UK-resident and wanted to know about international aspects of operating overseas, then we might well be able to assist. Or overseas-resident and looking to operate here in the UK. But I don't think there is any UK aspect to this, so we are not really in a position to advise, I think.

With regards,

Lambs

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”