This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT planning

low profile
IHT planning

Postby low profile » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:28 pm

I'm exposed to IHT, had my head in the sand about it but decided I need a plan.

Circumstances are UK based, decent health, non smoker, no spouse, no children, no job, no property, aged 60 so a few years to not quite a full state pension at 67, £100k+ in a SIPP and having sold up £750k+ largely in cash.

All I need from the pot is at least £20k inflation protected income, then leave any remaining pot to distant family.

As I understand it I'd currently be liable for about £170k IHT, any ideas gratefully received for how can I reduce it.

jerome.lane

Re: IHT planning

Postby jerome.lane » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:55 am

Invest in IHT friendly assets or maybe contribute more to your pension. If you buy your own home and have an estate less than £2m, you should have a £500k NRB.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:55 am

Not much you can do other than (as mentioned) invest in IHT assets such as AIM shares. That may not be a wise decision from an investment perspective given your overall wealth so you may just have to accept it.

You won't get the additional nil rate band (you can't leave your home to descendants) so everything over £325k will suffer tax.

low profile

Postby low profile » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Invest in IHT friendly assets or maybe contribute more to your pension. If you buy your own home and have an estate less than £2m, you should have a £500k NRB.
Obviously with no income I can only use £2,880 topped up to £3,600 for the tax relief. Due to that I hadn't really considered putting more in. I suppose I could put more in without the tax relief.

low profile

Postby low profile » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Not much you can do other than (as mentioned) invest in IHT assets such as AIM shares. That may not be a wise decision from an investment perspective given your overall wealth so you may just have to accept it.

You won't get the additional nil rate band (you can't leave your home to descendants) so everything over £325k will suffer tax.
So even if I buy a house and made it £500k house and £250k cash, it's taxed the same as £750k cash? Due to no dependents.

jerome.lane

Postby jerome.lane » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:04 am

I missed your point on you having no descendants so no NRB uplift unless you adopt which might be a big ask just to avoid IHT :lol:
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

low profile

Postby low profile » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:01 pm

I missed your point on you having no descendants so no NRB uplift unless you adopt which might be a big ask just to avoid IHT :lol:
Just checked and "For children who have been legally adopted, exactly the same inheritance rules apply as do for biological children", so it's an idea. I'd rather it went to someone in need than for the government to pass to some of their cronies. I'm going to read up on adopting a distant family member!

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”