This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

10 year charge on Discretionary trust help !

piper777
Re: 10 year charge on Discretionary trust help !

Postby piper777 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:15 am

Hi Jerome! Can i be very cheeky and ask one last question ?
I have not told you that as the Trust was set up by Will DOV there was also savings over 100K. therefore i believe not all the NRB would be allocated here only apprx 212K. Is this how it works, ?? and if so what would the new calculation be , if u don't mind !

Thank you kindly ... i will now seek professional advice, but trying to get a bit more informed in preparation!

Jerome_Lane

Postby Jerome_Lane » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:54 am

You should now seek the professional advice you mention; it makes no sense to keep spending uncharged time as you drip feed information. I usually generate fees for exactly this type of advice. You are more than welcome to engage our services. Good luck.
Jerome Lane
Tax Advisor
jerome.lane@stewartco.co.uk
Stewart&Co.
Chartered Accountants
Telephone: 01276 61203

piper777

Postby piper777 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:58 am

Thank you Jerome ---yes I understand this ---thank you for your help ---- i may well chase up with you on a professional basis .

maths

Postby maths » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:11 pm

As. pointed out above drip feeding info' leads to incorrect advice being proffered. If a DoV was executed this would suggest professional advice was tendered following death?

I'm unclear as to the status of the trust.

Does the uncle have a right to occupy the property under the trust terms or do the trustees have a discretion under which they may allow him to occupy (assume uncle a discretionary beneficiary)?

If the former then the uncle will possess an IPDI for IHT purposes and no 10 year charge; if the latter then the trust will be subject to a 10 year charge.

Where there is no IPDI a possible CGT charge may apply on any appointment out of the trust property to one or more beneficiaries; on any appointment the trustees are deemed to have sold and re-acquired the trust property at its market value (then holding the property on bare trust for the beneficiaries). TCGA 1992 s225, if applicable, would exempt any capital gain from a CGT charge. For s225 to apply requires that the trust terms allow a trust beneficiary to occupy the property and such beneficiary does so occupy.

Where there is an IPDI, on any termination a CGT will arise if the trust then terminates and, as above, any gain may be exempt under TCGA 1992 s 225. If the trust does not terminate on termination of the IPDI no CGT consequences arise.

piper777

Postby piper777 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:15 am

thank you Maths...... time for legal advice !!

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”