This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Split of gift and 7 year gift rule

dotto
Split of gift and 7 year gift rule

Postby dotto » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:32 am

1 My two sons and I were involved in building a house which was completed in 2016. The house is in the name of Son A and has 2 promissory notes, one in Son B's name and one for the same amount in my name. I would like to gift mine at this point but am not sure how. If I gift 50/50 to 2 sons, then die within the 7 year rule period, Son A will presumably have to pay capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the new house pro rata to the gift, whereas Son B will not have to pay anything as his share will not have increased as it is a set sum of money. Am I correct in this assumption. I am thinking it would be better to gift to son B.

2 We all have a one third share in the "family" home and intend demolishing this and building a new dwelling with a granny annexe for me. At the moment each share of the property is worth, for example, £100,000 each. My sons will raise a substantial amount against the first new build outlined in question 1 in order to do the new replacement build. It is reasonable for me, I think (as I am not inputting any further finance), just to retain the £100,000 share in our current home and therefore have a share in the replacement property of one sixth of its value (for example if replacement is worth £600,000), or to take myself off the title deeds and just have a promissory note for £100,000. I hope to end my days in the granny annexe (although pretty fit at the moment) but need to make sure I am not creating problems for the future as regards tax implications and possible care fees.

I have tried to research all of this but am still confused on the best way forward. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

pawncob

Re: Split of gift and 7 year gift rule

Postby pawncob » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:57 am

No capital gains tax arises on the gift, since it's merely the cancellation of a debt a far as "A" is concerned and an outright gift to "B".
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

dotto

Re: Split of gift and 7 year gift rule

Postby dotto » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:08 pm

Thank you for your reply. The two promissory notes held against the new property owned by Son A are :
1 £95,000 Son B
2 £95,000 myself (parent)

I have decided to hand over the amount of my promissory note to Son B so that he has a fairer share in the property. From your response, I understand this will be treated as a gift from me to Son B. I had expected that this would be tax free, should I survive 7 years from the date of transfer. Reading the proposed changes in the pipeline re tax on gifts etc, can anyone offer any advice on whether this is a bad move on my part. I have already contacted my solicitor who is in the process of retrieving the file. Son B is not brilliant with money which is why the property is in the name of Son A, but I am hoping to balance things out as time goes on.
If we go ahead and the new promissory note is recorded at Land Registry , does this automatically trigger with HMRC that a gift has been made at that date (currently to start off the 7 year rule). With the proposed new rule, what do you think if, say, a year has elapsed between the transfer and the new rule being implemented, the effect would be on the gift from a tax perspective.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”