This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Pension Beneficiary Distributions

milleph
Pension Beneficiary Distributions

Postby milleph » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:50 pm

Hi,

My father passed away in 2018 and I and my two daughters (both aged 20) received beneficiary distributions in Jan 2019 from his pension fund with Liverpool Victoria. Although I am British (we all have dual citizenship) I have lived in the USA for 26 years. My daughters were born in the USA. One is at college in the US and the other at college in the UK and neither works. We have just received the P45's from Liverpool Victoria.

Because my father was over 75, income tax was deducted on a 'week 1 month 1' basis from each of the three distributions which amounted to a 41.3% deduction. In the USA I don't believe such distributions are taxable below a limit that is well above the numbers involved here.

1. For me and my US domiciled daughter, I assume we are entitled to a refund from HMRC?
2. For my UK domiciled daughter attending college, will this be treated at income tax in the UK? If so she should still get a refund as she has no other income.

Appreciate any insights or direction you can offer.

Regards,

Phil

DavidTreitel

Re: Pension Beneficiary Distributions

Postby DavidTreitel » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:46 am

From a US perspective your father's estate was a specified foreign financial asset, reportable to the IRS on Form 8938 while it was in administration. Was this filed? Form 3520 is required if the inheritance was over $100,000.

The pension income is all reportable in the US because you are all US citizens. To recover UK tax you will each need to file UK self-assessment tax returns.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”