This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transfer of money to an LTD

Yiannis17
Transfer of money to an LTD

Postby Yiannis17 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Afternoon

I met a widowed wife who has has inherited a large sum of money from her late husband. She has asked me to transfer the money into a Limited company where her children are equal share holders and directors. She has no involvement in the company which is currently being set up for that purpose alone.

As well as the gift being a PET, am I missing anything else here?

Thank you

AGoodman

Re: Transfer of money to an LTD

Postby AGoodman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:12 pm

1. Doesn't sound like a great idea.
2. She needs to transfer the money:

- as a loan;
- for full MV consideration such as issue of shares; or
- while still 100% owner of the company

otherwise there will be a chargeable transfer not a PET (you can only make PETs to individuals).

Strictly speaking a gift to a 100% owned company is also a chargeable transfer but there is no transfer of value so a chargeable transfer of nil value.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”