This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Probate

Yiannis17
Probate

Postby Yiannis17 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:53 am

Good morning

Regarding probate, is it still necessary even if the Will in place stipulates that all assets will pass onto the surviving spouse?

Thank you

AGoodman

Re: Probate

Postby AGoodman » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:00 am

Yes. Otherwise banks and other third parties would have no way of relying on the will being the final, valid, will of the deceased.

The practical test is whether you need it in order to transfer assets - i.e. no need for joint assets and some banks will transfer balances of up to £50k without a grant (most have limits of £10k-£25k).

You still need to file an IHT return if (a) you are seeking probate in which case you may be able to use the simple form IHT205 or (b) it is not an excepted estate, in which case you need to file IHT400 irrespective of probate.

Yiannis17

Postby Yiannis17 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:34 pm

Thank you for the response.

I assume it is best to apply through HMRCs website?

IHT400 will need to be completed as I believe there were a few failed PETS.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Never used online as it isn't available for agents (they are still required to use paper for some reason).

Also, I don't think anybody can do IHT400 online, only IHT205

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”