This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Reversing property gift

vik2001
Reversing property gift

Postby vik2001 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:55 am

Mother gifted part of property to me as joint tenants. We live at the property together.
Im looking to get married and we want to end the arrangement but i want to continue living in the house with mother and wife.
Gift was made in 2016.
If she was to buy her 50% share back would it end the grob? Could i continue to live in the property rent free if she bought my share back?

Is there any sdlt or cgt/poat to worry about? The house is worth 410k

vik2001

Re: Reversing property gift

Postby vik2001 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:42 pm

I forgot to mention the aim is to out the property back into her sole name with creating any issues for either of us such as grob or poat.
One way i was thinking if she was to buy my share.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:28 am

The initial gift to you would not have been a GROB if thereafter you each paid your share of the expenses of the house (eg electric etc) or mother paid more than 50% thereof. The gift would still be a PET subject to the 7 year rule.

A sale back to her at market value would not give rise to any tax charges (assume no mortgage). If the initial gift is a GROB then any sale back to mother will terminate it (which will constitute a further PET).

What's value of mother's estate if she owns 100% of the house?

vik2001

Postby vik2001 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:27 am

Hi maths
Mothers estate is:
house full value is 410k. Plus she has 400k in cash. So total is 810k.

So is her buying the share of the property back we own as joint tenants a viable option to end this arrangement? and for us both to come out without anyone incurring grob/poat charges. Also assume i want to continue to live at property.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”