This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Business Property Relief (BPR) for an EIS investment fund

dominoman
Business Property Relief (BPR) for an EIS investment fund

Postby dominoman » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:40 am

I understand the rules around BPR for IHT. However you can't claim Business Relief if the business or company mainly deals with securities, stocks or shares, land or buildings, or in making or holding investments.

My late father had a significant holding in an EIS fund run by an investment company. The EIS fund invests in small companies, all of which qualify for EIS. However, do I understand it right that my father's holding would not qualify for BPR for IHT?

One of the EIS funds he invested in was run as an LLP. In that case if I understand correctly the individual holdings within the fund do qualify for BPR, though the committed (but as yet uninvested) cash in the fund wouldn't?

AGoodman

Re: Business Property Relief (BPR) for an EIS investment fund

Postby AGoodman » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:10 pm

You should consider getting proper advice on the LLP fund. The legislation suggests (and I think HMRC view) is that the LLP acts as a blocker for BPR but there is an arguable interpretation that you can look through the LLP.

Many EIS funds are not actually funds in the usual sense - but rather a bare trust where your father would have had a direct beneficial interest in the underlying EIS shares. Those funds may well qualify for BPR. It probably won't be clear from the marketing materials but you could look for more detailed documents or ask the managers.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”