This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Non-UK Situs Assets

Kalzema10
Non-UK Situs Assets

Postby Kalzema10 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Dear All

I hope that everyone is well.

I have a query related to IHT and non-UK Situs assets. I was having a chat with somebody in respect of IHT and domicile. I believe I have an Indian domicile. My father was born there and I visit on regular occasions. I have some property over there and bank accounts. I also have lots of family still living there. I was told that I could potentially benefit from the Indian / UK Double Tax Treaty whereby any assets I hold outside of the UK could possibly fall outside my estate for UK IHT purposes.

I wanted to clarify the point on non-UK situs assets. I know people mention holding investments offshore and that they should also be non-UK situs assets in order to benefit from the double tax treaty. The question I have is are both the points important or just the non-UK situs elements? For example, I hold a number of investments across ETF and funds within a Hargreaves Lansdown account. All the investments I hold are from my understanding non-UK situs i.e. Irish and Luxembourg domiciled.

Have I done the right thing above or does the fact that I hold these investments in a Hargreaves Lansdown account and not an offshore account become an issue?

AGoodman

Re: Non-UK Situs Assets

Postby AGoodman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:53 pm

The location of the nominee custodian should be irrelevant. It should be only the location of the actual investment (i.e. Eire/Lux) that is relevant

Kalzema10

Postby Kalzema10 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:16 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Therefore, the position I currently have would be OK? I was being told I would need to hold my investments offshore but I guess this is incorrect?

maths

Postby maths » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:02 pm

The situs of the asset dictates whether IHT is chargeable or not assuming non domiciled status of the holder.

It would seem you hold shares/units in funds domiciled in Ireland/Luxembourg which are non-U.K. situs.

There is no need to hold the assets offshore. It is the situs of the asset itself which is important.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Belt and braces: it's confirmed by Article V(f) of the UK/India Treaty:

Shares, stock, debentures or debenture stock in a company (including any such property held by a nominee, whether the beneficial ownership is evidenced by scrip certificates or otherwise) shall be deemed to be situated at the place where the company was incorporated;

Kalzema10

Postby Kalzema10 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:03 pm

Belt and braces: it's confirmed by Article V(f) of the UK/India Treaty:

Shares, stock, debentures or debenture stock in a company (including any such property held by a nominee, whether the beneficial ownership is evidenced by scrip certificates or otherwise) shall be deemed to be situated at the place where the company was incorporated;
Does that mean the nominee (i.e. Hargreaves) is irrelevant and it is the situs of the ETF i.e. Ireland or Luxembourg that matters?

maths

Postby maths » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Yes, as confirmed in my post.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:49 pm

India no longer levies an estate duty.

As a consequence the situs rules contained in Article V are not in point ie they have no relevance. This is because of Article IV(2).

Thus, situs of an asset for UK IHT is determined under UK domestic law.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:54 pm

Always learning...and i'm only 35 years out of date on this one.

maths

Postby maths » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:25 pm

AG, you're far too modest (and honest) !

As one gets older one realises how much one doesn't know. When I was younger I thought I'd cracked, amongst other things, IHT. Still can't do double gross up.

The UK/India point is a bit abstruse to say the least.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”