This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Advice for tax efficiency

avondale55
Advice for tax efficiency

Postby avondale55 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:36 pm

My father is 77, his estate is worth 2 million pounds, this consists of 3 houses which he owns outright and savings of £500k.
He rents two of the properties out and we were advised to set up a limited company to reduce tax, he being a 10% shareholder and I 90%. The two rental properties to be put in the limited company which would cost about £300k with CGT stamp duty and transfer of property etc

He will live in his own house which my understand on the current nil rate band allows him 1million with his late wifes allowance so mitigates some tax
Is this the best method to reduce tax whilst he's alive and upon his death

ben_power

Re: Advice for tax efficiency

Postby ben_power » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 pm

This is a complex question and without knowing the full picture is difficult to give a straight answer.

There are many different ways to structure this but the solution depends on the bigger picture. What income does he need? What other income sources does he have? Is he dependent upon the rental income? Does he have future expenditure plans? How is his health? What is your financial situation? Do you need income? How is your health? What is your total net worth? Is he dead set on retaining the properties? If so, why?

All of those dictate the direction of travel and whilst a limited company might be an option it is impossible to tell without knowing the bigger picture.

As an experienced financial adviser I must stress the importance to seek independent financial advice. We can all learn how to build a house from YouTube but we don't, we pay for a builder to do it because they are experienced and knowledgeable. This website is great for ideas and quick questions but believe me, your question is complex and anyone who tries to answer it without all the information would be foolish.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”