This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Selling GWR property

vik2001
Selling GWR property

Postby vik2001 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:24 pm

Mother gifted property to son as joint beneficial tenants. They both live in property. Apparently its a grob on mother because of the tenancy they had.

If they sell the property and mother buys a new property in her sole name, using her share of proceeds does it cancel the grob, or does it follow her. Is any cgt due?
Property was gifted in 2016 at 400k. Its now worth 450k

pawncob

Re: Selling GWR property

Postby pawncob » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:32 pm

I think everyone has offered their opinions on this several times. Perhaps you should ask a different question.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Nicklam

Re: Selling GWR property

Postby Nicklam » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:57 pm

Im kind of in a different situation to this but find it interesting. Though my issue is more clear cut.

I thought issue for op would be the grob follows from house to house. As his mother would have wiped out 50% from her estate on first house when selling. So wouldnt grob follow her into new house she buys for herself? I could be wrong.

Also Would the op be able to contribute say to utility bills if living with mother at new place? I think he needs to be careful of poat. Though i could be wrong again.

Even though he says mother made a grob on first property i dnt think she pays any cgt as she was still legal owner as a joint tenant id it was her main residence

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”