This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains on inherited assets

dominoman
Capital Gains on inherited assets

Postby dominoman » Wed May 13, 2020 1:01 pm

We, the executors, will soon be distributing assets from my late father's estate. I've not done this before so excuse the basic question...

Many of the assets are company shares. They were valued high at death, but will be valued much lower now due to Covid. My question is, for the purpose of calculating CGT in future do the beneficiaries calculate the gain against the IHT valuation (ie what we put on form IHT400 and the other related forms) or against the value at the time of distribution of the assets?

It could make a big difference.

Thanks

maths

Re: Capital Gains on inherited assets

Postby maths » Wed May 13, 2020 1:42 pm

The beneficiaries as legatees take the shares at their probate value not at the date of distribution to them.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”