This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Three years accounts for Business Relief

dominoman
Three years accounts for Business Relief

Postby dominoman » Mon May 25, 2020 10:53 am

For BPR the IHT400 form states that "If you’re deducting Business Relief, a copy of the partnership agreement (where appropriate) and the last 3 years’ accounts"

If I just get the accounts from Companies House online is that enough? It would save me having to contact each company my late father had a stake in to get them (most are small startups so their accounts are short anyway).

Thanks for any advice

pawncob

Re: Three years accounts for Business Relief

Postby pawncob » Wed May 27, 2020 12:08 pm

Have you read the notes? (p 31 onwards)
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inheritance-tax-inheritance-tax-account-iht400

On what grounds are you claiming relief?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

dominoman

Postby dominoman » Wed May 27, 2020 2:44 pm

Yes, I've read the notes. It doesn't answer my question on whether Abbreviated Accounts from Companies House are sufficient.

Claiming relief on the grounds that these are unlisted shares (some AIM stocks, some private investments) held for 2+ years. Why?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Thu May 28, 2020 6:11 pm

For AIM shares, you don't need any supporting evidence.
For private companies you'll need a valuation. No other evidence required unless HMRC challenge the valuation, in which case you negotiate with share valuation division.
Partnership agreement, not applicable. Accounts not required.

dominoman

Postby dominoman » Fri May 29, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks pawncob. That's really helpful. Would certainly save me a lot of time and hassle.

On the checklist (IHT400) it specifically asks if I have included 3 years of accounts. Should I just check No there?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri May 29, 2020 11:48 am

I'd recommend it.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”