This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT Allowance

logistic
IHT Allowance

Postby logistic » Sat May 30, 2020 12:38 pm

I have a terminal illness and have been advised to leave my estate entirely to my wife rather than to my children as I had planned. My wife is comfortably off in her own right

The justification provided for this advice is that if I leave my estate to my children my own IHT allowance £325,000 will be used up. But as there is no IHT liability between spouses my allowance of £325,000 would remain intact, and available for my wife’s estate to claim on her own eventual demise.
Thus providing a total of £650,000 IHT exemption for her estate rather than just her own £325,000 exemption

Is this in fact the case

jerome.lane

Re: IHT Allowance

Postby jerome.lane » Sat May 30, 2020 1:34 pm

I am sorry to hear of your illness. The advice you have been given is broadly correct although you have no certainty that your children will ever benefit from your estate.

You may want to consider leaving your estate to your wife using an interest in possession Trust which gives your wife income and then ensures the capital eventually passes to your children and thus gives you some degree of continuing control over how your assets are divided.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

maths

Re: IHT Allowance

Postby maths » Sat May 30, 2020 3:37 pm

The advice is correct.

In addition to a nil rate band (325k) there is also a residence nil rate band (175k).

At its simplest if you left everything to wife who on her death left everything to children, on her death there would be 650k (2 x 325k) plus 350k (a x 175k) of effective exemption from IHT ie £1 million IHT free.

The residence nil rate band (RNRB) applying where children (grandchildren) inherit a parent's residence.

The above applies assuming no future changes to the IHT rules.

Problems re the RNRB may apply if wife's estate (ie her own plus husband's) exceeds £2 million.

The "best"option will depend upon size of estates; number and age of children; children' circumstances; wife's circumstances and what you and wife (ignoring IHT) would like to happen.

There a variety of solutions.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”