This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift valuation

Bill31
Gift valuation

Postby Bill31 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:40 am

Hi

My father gifted part of the property we live in together. We have decided to stay together jointly and i want to make sure everything is in line.
When the gift was made we had to provide a value of the house to be entered on land registry. We did not get a proper valuation by a surveyor done. I just estimated the value of our house compared to what other houses on our road sold for around this time.

Can hmrc ever argue this valuation at the time of gift being made? Is this a big concern or nothing to worry about as another valuation can be done at time of death....?

AGoodman

Re: Gift valuation

Postby AGoodman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:57 am

The Land Registry valuation won't count for IHT/CGT although it is possible (albeit unlikely) that it could be picked up if you later used a different value to give you a better outcome. You would just have to explain the reason.

Bill31

Re: Gift valuation

Postby Bill31 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:03 am

So say my father was to pass away while i stay in property with him. For iht would we need to get another valuation done by a surveyour or estate agent? And thats the one that counts for iht to value his share...?

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”