This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Business interests in unlisted companies - IHT412 and IHT413

dominoman
Business interests in unlisted companies - IHT412 and IHT413

Postby dominoman » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:56 am

My late father owned shares in many small unlisted businesses, often startups. I have listed them all out on form IHT412 (and used an extra Excel sheet too as there weren't enough rows on the form). Most attract Business Relief or Replacement Business Relief because he had held them more than 2 years.

I'm unclear if I also need to complete form IHT413 for each of these companies?

The IHT guidance notes state that I must fill in schedule 413 if the deceased owned a business or part of a business. But it also states that for Business Relief on shares use IHT412 and not IHT413. I'm confused because surely if you own a part of a business that is shares in the business.

Do I need to fill in IHT413 for each business he had shares in if I'm claiming Business Relief?

Thanks

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”