This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transfer of a rental property

Yiannis17
Transfer of a rental property

Postby Yiannis17 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:30 pm

Afternoon,

I have a situation where on the first death the terms of the will state that all property passes onto the surviving spouse. In this instance, the property is a buy to let. The surviving spouse now wants to transfer her share of bequeath property onto another family member. This has all happened in four month period and I don't think probate has yet to be applied.

Before contacting the land registry, to reflect the above, is it wise to show the two different transfers? From surviving spouse to the third party?

Thank you

jerome.lane

Re: Transfer of a rental property

Postby jerome.lane » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:12 am

The surviving spouse could make a gamble on making a potentially exempt transfer or a deed of variation could be entered to vary the Will so asset goes directly to ultimate beneficiary. I think the former works better if spouse survives another 7 years and she should then retain a 100% uplift on her nil rate band on her death which could be more advantageous. Tax advice should be sought as to what is most appropriate.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”