This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Discretionary Trust Tax Pool anomoly

Carlo234
Discretionary Trust Tax Pool anomoly

Postby Carlo234 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:22 pm

Hi All. As a Trustee of my father's Discretionary Will Trust, I'm ok with the basic concept of the Tax Pool, but don't understand one particular aspect.   Using HMRC's Discretionary Trust Tax Pool Calculator, I entered the following:Tax Year 17-18, No of Trusts = 1, Other Trust Income (available for discretionary distribution): £100, Net Payments made to Beneficiaries : £24.45.   The response from the calculator is: “Tax Pool available before Payments to beneficiaries : £20,   Tax Pool surplus/shortfall (after making the distribution of £24.45) = £0"
As trustee, from this I understand that I may only distribute £24.45 of the income to the beneficiaries,  and the amount of tax that I as trustee will pay on the £100 is theoretically at most £45.
So from the £100 of income if we subtract the distribution of £24.45, and the maximum (albeit unlikely) tax paid of £45, it leaves £30.55.
What do I do with this remaining £30.55 of income?     Can I distribute it without an accompanying tax credit?
And what's HMRC's reasoning in allowing only £24.45 to be made available for distribution from £100 of income?

Lee Young

Re: Discretionary Trust Tax Pool anomoly

Postby Lee Young » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:18 pm

It migt help you to now that the first £1,000 of income in a discretionary trust is taxed at the basic rate, so 20% for bank interest, or 7.5% for dividends. All distributions out to beneficiaries are deemed to be net of the 45% tax credit, irrespective of how much tax has been put in the pool.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”