This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Surplus income query

Bill31
Surplus income query

Postby Bill31 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:31 am

Help needed regarding surplus income as never did this before.
Say I receive 2 pensions one from my late partner and soon the state pension, which will total £1240 per month. Can this be used to pay out of surplus income?

After say my monthly bill and expenses i have £500 left over every month, i want to gift £300 monthly to my son. Can i do this as a one of payment every year so 300x12 =£3600 in say october every year, or does it have to be a regular monthly payment?

Then can i also make him a £3000 gift on top of that from the 3k allowed exemption every year? And also pay other individuals £250 per year

jerome.lane

Re: Surplus income query

Postby jerome.lane » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:27 am

You can make regular monthly or annual payments out of surplus income on top of other gifts out of capital. It is recommended that you document each gift and I would suggest making a written declaration as some sort of letter of wishes with regards to your intention to make regular gifts out of income.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

Bill31

Postby Bill31 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 am

Ok thanks

Another question say if i was to pay a hmrc tax bill for someone like my son, but i paid it directly to hmrc from my bank account on his behalf. Would that been seen as a 7 year gift or not?? He would not be paying me back

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:23 pm

It's still a gift but it could still qualify as a gift out of surplus income.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”