This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT421

Mannisenmaki
IHT421

Postby Mannisenmaki » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:27 pm

I am dealing with my mother's estate and am about to submit all of the forms to HMRC. I am just now completing IHT421 which I understand that HMRC will send directly to the Probate Registry once they have checked it, since I am not using the services of a solicitor. The form asks for the name of the Probate Registry where I am sending the application but I am using the online service. I think that it will give me an address at the end of the process to which I should send the original Will, but I haven't got there yet as I am not quite ready to make the legal declaration required.

Does anyone know which Probate Registry I should insert on the IHT421 in this situation? Do I just put down London?

Many thanks

Nick

Lee Young

Re: IHT421

Postby Lee Young » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:38 pm

Applications now go via Oxford District Probate Registry, so if the system does not throw up an alternative, that is the one I would put in.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

keihal

Postby keihal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:12 pm

I have just been through exactly the same process. When I submitted IHT 421 with the other IHT400 papers, I entered the postal address for my district's Probate Registry (the address was Newcastle, although the district was in East Anglia). However, when I completed the on-line Probate application, the address that I was directed to send the Will to was HMCTS Probate, PO Box 12625 Harlow CM20 9QE. I posted the Will to that address by Royal Mail 24 hour assured delivery earlier in July (2020) and had an email acknowledgement the following working day, saying the Will had been received and Probate would take up to eight weeks. I had another email 45 minutes later to say Probate has been granted, followed by written confirmation (the Grant) about five days later.
I hope this is helpful Nick, I found the entire IHT process quite a trial!
Continuing the process, one thing that I do not know is whether HMRC actually confirm that they have accepted the IHT400 valuation. They presumably sent the IHT421 to the Probate Registry, as Probate was granted, but their website says they will look at the IHT 400 submission AFTER issuing IHT 421. I have received no communication from HMRC so far, although in this case, no tax is due.

Mannisenmaki

Postby Mannisenmaki » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. They came slightly too late as I posted off the IHT forms and probate application this morning.

I decided to just insert the full postal address of the probate office that I sent the probate paperwork to, which is the address in Harlow. There didn't seem to be any other guidance at all for someone not using the services of a solicitor.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”