This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift of land

stohs
Gift of land

Postby stohs » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:58 am

I was gifted 6 acres of agricultural land 3 years ago. If I get planning permission on some of this land and my parents do not survive 7 years from date of gift, is tax payable on the value of the land at the time of the gift or the potentially enhanced value with planning permission?

Lee Young

Re: Gift of land

Postby Lee Young » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:49 am

It is the value at the time of the gift, though HMRC may argue that there was some uplift on any valuation submitted at the time on the basis of the hope value in the future development of the land Hopefully this has been, or will be, factored into the valuation you would propose using.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

maths

Re: Gift of land

Postby maths » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:41 pm

Agree with Lee.

Would the value of the land fall within parents' nil rate bands; in which case no IHT on their deaths on the gifts but would eat into their nil rate bands on their death estates.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”