This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT 400 No will

alittleunsure
IHT 400 No will

Postby alittleunsure » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:14 pm

I have been trying to support my dad and complete this form to enable Grant of Probate/ Letter of Administration but some of it is making me feel like I am wading through treacle. I appreciate that things would have been much easier if they had a Will. The IHT 404 and subsequent filling in of the IHT 400 is tricky. If anyone could give me any advice, I would be very grateful.

Exemptions and reliefs for the jointly owned assets shown in box 1
As the house was in joint names and will be passed to dad, I have included my mum's share so Net total of jointly owned assets (box 3 minus box 4) is 0 and I copied this amount to form IHT400, box 49.
She didn't own anything solely for 51 - Deceased’s residence (except farmhouses and jointly owned houses). However, question 59 asks for box 49 plus 51, which is 0 and the editable PDF won't accept or retain the 0. I can only imagine I have done something very wrong.

I hope this makes sense.

maths

Re: IHT 400 No will

Postby maths » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:30 pm

Are you sure you should be filing IHT 400?

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”