This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gifts out of income

Brightonian
Gifts out of income

Postby Brightonian » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:51 am

I am completing IHT403 for a client who made regular gifts to his children and grandchildren.He had surplus income but the calculation is a little tight. Am I able to deduct the annual £3,000 exemption before showing the balance a gift out of income? I can't find any mention of the interaction between the two exemptions. For example, if he gave £20,000 to his daughter on her birthday, could I claim £3,000 annual exemption and just show £17,000 as a deduction from income?
It also looks as though all the gifts have to be listed on page 2, as well as page 8. I assume it is acceptable to group the minor gifts to grandchildren of around £1,000 p.a. together, while listing the more substantial birthday and Christmas gifts to his daughters separately?
I shall be grateful for any advice forum members can offer.

Lee Young

Re: Gifts out of income

Postby Lee Young » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:22 pm

I would claim the annual exemption where there is not sufficient surplus income to cover the regular gifts. AFter all, if it isn't surpls income, then it must have been taken from capital and therefore the annual exemption applies.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Brightonian

Re: Gifts out of income

Postby Brightonian » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:20 am

Dear Lee,

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to reply. It makes perfect sense when you think it through and I will do as you suggest. Thank you.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”