This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Executor & Beneficiary wanting to occupy deceased's property

rowleyburkin
Executor & Beneficiary wanting to occupy deceased's property

Postby rowleyburkin » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:40 pm

Grateful for any views on this scenario...

I am the executor and main beneficiary of a property belonging to an unmarried/single person with no dependents who lives alone in the property.
There is a still a mortgage on the property and the owner has some credit card debts (owner has no savings).
The will specifies a few cash amounts to friends and the remainder to me.
If I wanted to take ownership and live in the house rather than selling it I'd have to pay off (or take on) the mortgage and pay all the estates debts/legacies out of my own pocket and then get the property transferred over to me. I don't believe there will be any IHT to pay and I couldn't afford to buy the place outright on the open market.

Is this broadly how it would work ?

Also how would it work if the will specified percentage amounts to others instead of cash amounts ? Would the percentage be calculated on the remaining value of the estate after the mortgage/debts/funeral expenses and legacies had been paid ?

Thanks

AGoodman

Re: Executor & Beneficiary wanting to occupy deceased's property

Postby AGoodman » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:35 am

Yes

It depends on the wording but probably yes

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”