This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How much inheritance tax are we looking at on my dads estate?

Russboy
How much inheritance tax are we looking at on my dads estate?

Postby Russboy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:58 pm

Hi all, first off my Dad is still going strong at the age of 76, so there's the good news!

My Mum and Dad were married for 49 years with my Mum passing away in May 2018. All properties they had were jointly owned, with that changing to my Dad being the sole owner when my Mum passed away. We know we should addressed this years ago even prior to my Mum passing but at least we are addressing it now! Spurred on by me losing my best mate back in May at the age off 44.

Every house and asset is owned outright, there are no mortgages or loans.

Assets (approx):

£750k main residence of my Mum and Dad and remains the main residence of my Dad today
£600k new build house, not yet completed, no one living there and value is as it stand today
£400k Nans house (Mums mum) but owned outright by my Dad with my Nan living there rent free until she passes away or goes to a home etc.
£200 rental flat
£250k holiday home in Littlehampton
£120k cash
£50k cars

£2.37m overall

My Dads will states his whole estate to be split equally between myself and my sister. As I understand it (rightly or wrongly) my mums tax-free allowance of £325k and her £175k main residence passed to my Dad when she died. So does this mean he has the same and therefore the first £1m of his estate would not be subject to IHT? IF yes then we are looking at a bill of £548k based on the remaining estate of £1.37m.

Soon we will be looking to get professional advise on how exactly we can avoid as much inheritance tax as possible whilst still giving my Dad the peace of mind that if all properties were transferred to equal ownership between him, my sister and myself he would never be in danger of being kicked out and would be protected by law.

Thanks everyone, any help is greatly appreciated!

AnthonyR

Re: How much inheritance tax are we looking at on my dads estate?

Postby AnthonyR » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:55 am

Not quite. As your Dad's estate is over £2m the residence nil rate band will be tapered down by £1 for every £2 over. Based on £2.37m this means his RNRB will be tapered by £185,000. This means that their total allowances are £815,000.

I'd suggest having a chat with an IHT expert as there's a few options to reduce down the overall value of the estate and reduce the taper to maximise the reliefs. However, be careful with gifts as these will trigger CGT unless it's the main residence and giving away the main residence is unlikely to be effective for IHT unless you live with him (or he pays you market rent).
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Russboy

Re: How much inheritance tax are we looking at on my dads estate?

Postby Russboy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:17 pm

Not quite. As your Dad's estate is over £2m the residence nil rate band will be tapered down by £1 for every £2 over. Based on £2.37m this means his RNRB will be tapered by £185,000. This means that their total allowances are £815,000.

I'd suggest having a chat with an IHT expert as there's a few options to reduce down the overall value of the estate and reduce the taper to maximise the reliefs. However, be careful with gifts as these will trigger CGT unless it's the main residence and giving away the main residence is unlikely to be effective for IHT unless you live with him (or he pays you market rent).
Thanks, useful stuff to note and glad i'm not a million miles off on numbers. Sounds like it would be a £634k bill, putting it all very bluntly.

Yes, you're absolutely right, need an IHT expert and or a property expert so we know what we can do iro ownership etc.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”