This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Incomplete gift query

sw879
Incomplete gift query

Postby sw879 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 am

Hi, I hope someone might be able to help me regarding an incomplete gift query.

The deceased made substantial gifts 7 years prior to his death (circa £1,000,000). A week before he died, he wrote a cheque for £10,000 to a friend, however, the bank did not accept the signature on the cheque and the £10,000 remains in his account.

I have been told by a family member that the recipient of the gift is aware of his death (and has not mentioned the cheque) but I have not personally been in contact with them and I am unaware of any special circumstances surrounding the gift or if the recipient may have relied on receiving the gift to their detriment.

I was wondering if anyone could advise on the status of the gift please or could point me in the right direction? Thank you

pawncob

Re: Incomplete gift query

Postby pawncob » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:36 pm

The £10k is a claim against the estate. Do you have evidence that it's a gift?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

sw879

Postby sw879 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:48 am

No evidence other than being told by a family member (who was also the deceased's attorney and is heavily involved in the administration of the estate) that the deceased made the gift to this friend.

maths

Postby maths » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:29 pm

In short, the so-called "gift" fails and without further info' the donee has no right of action against the donor's estate.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”